- 8,940: Number of Internet protocol (IP) addresses in Ontario where child porn is suspected of having been downloaded in the last three months
- 23: Number of police services searching 76 locations to seize computer equipment
- 60: Number of suspects arrested
- 213: Number of charges filed, including sexual assault, child luring and making, possessing and distributing child pornography
- 22: Number of identified victims, now longer being abused
MP Joy Smith issued a statement on the bust, commending those who worked long hours to put an end to this crime.
I want to commend the Ontario Provincial Police Child Sexual Exploitation Section and the 23 law enforcement agencies involved in this investigation for their dedication and commitment to tracking down the individuals who created, distributed and made available child sexual abuse material. These investigations are long and complex and exert significant emotional and physical tolls on the officers involved. Due to the immense and heroic efforts of these police officers, 22 child victims have been rescued and are now receiving care.
Children are the most precious members of our society but also the most vulnerable. The creation and distribution of child sexual abuse materials results in devastating trauma in young victims. As a nation, it is incumbent on each of us to support efforts that protect children, hold predators accountable, and restore rescued victims.
I echo her words. This kind of predatory behaviour is unacceptable, and I am so grateful for those one the front lines who are doing something about this injustice. My hope is that victims can now get healing, and that the perpetrators experience true heart change while paying for what they did. Considering that some of those accused have already had previous sex-related convictions, I am reminded that some form of restorative justice is so necessary in our country. For more information, check out these articles:
- Repeat offenders among those charged in huge Ontario child porn bust by Tu Thanh Ha at Globe and Mail
- Region police investigate 4 men as part of province-wide child porn bust by The Waterloo Record