Many of you ask how you can get involved in the fight against human trafficking. This week, Bill C-310 is going before the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights. Bill C-310 has two parts:
- It seeks to amend the Criminal Code so that Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are involved in human trafficking outside of Canada’s borders can be prosecuted for their crimes.
- It seeks to amend the Code to ensure that the definition of exploitation in Court will be enhanced to include clear examples such as the use of threats, violence, coercion, and fraudulent means. Law enforcement, lawyers, and prosecutors have faced challenges demonstrating exploitation in trafficking in persons cases under the current definition.
Here is a request from MP Joy Smith:
I am pleased to update you that my private members’ Bill C-310 will be reviewed by the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights on March 15, 2012. If it is successful at Committee, it will be sent back to the House for Third Reading … I need your help to encourage members to move Bill C-310 through the Justice Committee in a timely manner.
Bill C-310 will help protect women and girls in Canada and abroad from exploitation. You can make a significant difference by taking a few minutes to send and email on behalf of yourself or your organization to the Members of the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights. Please also copy your local MP and myself ([email protected]). You can find out your local MP’s address here.
Here is a list of the MPs and their emails on the Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights:
Chair: Dave MacKenzie – [email protected]
- Françoise Boivin – [email protected]
- Charmaine Borg – [email protected]
- Kerry-Lynne D. Findlay – [email protected]
- Robert Goguen – [email protected]
- Pierre Jacob – [email protected]
- Brian Jean – [email protected]
- Brent Rathgeber – [email protected]
- Kyle Seeback – [email protected]
- Stephen Woodworth – [email protected]
Need more details on the bill? MP Joy Smith and her team have put together a fantastic backgrounder document so that you have enough information to write an informed email, see below:
If you are not well-versed in political language, do not feel overwhelmed. Even writing a brief email of support for the bill, requesting it to be moved through the Justice Committee as quickly as possible, is a great way for you to make a difference. If you can, include your contact information in the email (full name, address, and phone number).
Please write your email before Thursday March 15. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions at all!
Update from MP Smith’s office: “Bill C-310 passed Committee today with the support of all MPs. Will be reported back to House of Commons for Third Reading on March 26. Great testimonies by MP Joy Smith, Timea & Rob from Walk With Me, Roz and Mark from Beyond Borders and Amir Attaran.”
***Thanks to everyone who wrote an email of support to help this happen! I will keep you posted as this Bill moves forward.