I get quite a bit of interesting feedback from this blog, and one group of individuals is particularly eager to send in their thoughts: Johns. For those of you who are unfamilar with the term, Johns are men who use prostituted women. As such, they are the ones who fuel the demand for paid sex and make trafficking profitable for pimps and traffickers.
I’ll have you know that I usually delete these comments when I get them, because they are disturbing, disgusting, and not worth my time. But I thought I would share one comment I received recently, to show you how these guys think. If we are to help the exploited, we must have at least a basic understanding of what motivates the men who exploit them. Here is what one man writes:
I don’t care if you women get mad at me or not. If an attractive (to me) woman were available to me with the most ideal physical looks and personality that I would marry, then I would marry and not cheat and not use a prostitute. In reality, most women are not that attractive, especially the average woman whatever that is or means.
In reality, most women have a relatively low libido. Men end-up sexually frustrated. Congressman John Edwards cheated. Former governor and actor, Arnold Schwarzenegger cheated. Former IMF chief, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, cheated. In the past, men have cheated, men ARE cheating, and men WILL CONTINUE to cheat until the female population has been bred and culled into the most ideal such that cheating and prostitution are eliminated. The key word here is ‘until’ and both sexes/genders can make it happen sooner or a lot later by cooperating or otherwise.
As you know, we’re currently in Great Recession that (as the media had stated) had ended in 2009. I don’t see a glimmer of light at the end of this tunnel, so the next phase is logically a Great Depression or, to distinguish from the last depression, a Great-ER Depression and, with that, women will (as before) have no alternative and no exit strategy.
If I had (at home) a clean drug/disease-free, tattoo-free, addiction/vice-free June Cleaver with perky/firm natural C cups, some curves, beautiful without makeup, with an intelligent/logical brain with which to converse with as a husband and wife should do you really think I’m going to look out on the street for a Jane Doe to hump for money? There is demand for prostitution for a reason: not enough supply.
Surprised? This is exactly the kind of thinking that traffickers and pimps use to their advantage. Makes my blood boil.
- This guy talks about women as if they are commodities for men to use as they wish. This implies women have no opinions, preferences, or wishes themselves, but solely exist for man’s pleasure and fantasy.
- He picks and chooses his ideal traits from women as a whole and expects one woman to have them all if he is to be faithful to her. Notice how he never mentions what qualities men should have to deserve a woman’s affection.
- “Men will continue to cheat until women have been bred and culled into the ideal form???” Sounds like Hitler. It scares me that this way of thinking is still around.
- Just because the economy always leaves vulnerable people in its wake does not give him an excuse to take advantage of them.
- To answer his last question, yes, he would still look for prostituted women even if he had the ideal girl at home because she would never be enough. When you become this selfish, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
- FYI: there is demand for prostitution because guys like this don’t care who they hurt as long as they get what they want, not because of “lack of supply.”
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the kind of guy that is using and abusing victims of sex trafficking. ItÂ sickens me, saddens me, and enrages me. How can we, as a society, change the way guys like this think? Do you think it’s too late? Where do you think this man learned to view women this way? Do you think he would care if he found out the girl he was with was a victim of sex trafficking? How does such a worldview impact communities?
Would love to hear your thoughts and your reaction to this letter. Anyone else disturbed? What can we do about it?