Nice to meet you!
I’m so glad you’ve stopped in to visit my digital home.
I’m a Kenyan-born, Nordic girl who was raised in Finland, Ethiopia, and Canada. This jumble of cultural identities makes me a bit of a nut for global issues. When I was twenty, I learned about human trafficking at the Catalyst conference in Atlanta, driving me to write and make documentaries. I’m also a Christian – hopefully not the arrogant, irritating, preachy kind, but the trying-to-follow-the-way-of-Jesus-and-love-my-neighbour kind.
I really like snowy, dark winters, burritos, and maps. Finnish candy is my Achilles heel. I’m married to my best friend, the bearded Jared Brock (Jay) and together we like working on meaningful projects that benefit the common good.
I invite you to peruse through some of my favourite articles. Sometimes I interview cool people. Sometimes I write about faith. Sometimes I write about social justice, global issues, and other things that interest me. I hope you find value here, and that my work inspires you to learn more about the world and to live more intentionally, wherever you are.
- A Walk Across the Sun: Interview with Corban Addison
- The Truth Behind Our Clothing – Interview with Andrew Morgan, Director of the True Cost Documentary
- The Nexus Between Porn and Sexual Violence: Interview with Dr. John Foubert
- Traffic-Proofing Kids Through Critical Thinking
- What if a Comfortable Sleep Could Change the World? – Interview with Jeremy Cowart about The Purpose Hotel
- Stolen Organs – How Human Traffickers Hunt for Kidneys
- A Lesser Known Cause of Human Trafficking – Statelessness
- Bribes: A Human Trafficker’s Cost of Doing Business
- The Rest of God by Mark Buchanan – A beautifully-written book about Sabbath. Incredibly life-giving for busy, weary people.
- A Grace Disguised by Jerry Sittser – A raw and profound book about loss, written by a man who lost his mother, wife, and daughter in one car accident.
- A Year of Living Prayerfully by Jared Brock – A humorous and thought-provoking travel memoir that enriched my prayer life. There may or may not be a photo in it of Jay and me with Pope Francis.
- Every Good Endeavor by Timothy Keller and Katherine Leary Alsdorf – A book about the purpose of work.
- The Locust Effect: Why the End of Poverty Requires the End of Violence by Gary Haugen – Written by the founder of International Justice Mission, this moving book addresses a critical piece we’ve missed in poverty-reduction efforts.
- The Tears of Dark Water by Corban Addison – A compelling novel intertwining the stories of an American power broker and Somali pirates.